Minutes from meeting • Tuesday, May 28,, 2019
- Welcome All!
One 1st time attendee, Sylvia, who helped out with the garage sale and volunteered to work at Bandfest.
- Financial Report Karen Arnold
- Teeth by Archie Dental clinic, operates on Monday and Tuesday- 2 patients per day. Open to rescue groups only at this time as we build the program.
- RACE continues its Clinic on Wednesdays at OIB Vets. The practice is owned by Gary Stutzman. Remember to thank him for this gift to rescue.
- Pet Education 2018/2019 school year came to a close with our 5th yr at
Jessie Mae. Celebration ceremony on May 14 was a great success. We have completed funding for 2 schools for the 2019/2020 school year, thanks to PA member Gary Hallanger! Change a child and you change what happens tomorrow! We urge members to bet involved in this program. Teachers needed if this program is to continue to grow.
Stella’s Touch program continues to grow. Take an application with you tonight so you have it in case you need it. Be prepared when you see a need.
Calabash Sr Center drew new members and a couple of PEP volunteers, 2 teachers and 2 new members.
SSB markets. Great way to sell BandFest! Volunteer needed each week to set up and work the Paws-Ability tent.
Yard Sale. Thank you Lou Ann Beveridge and Team of volunteers who helped to raise a GRAND TOTAL OF $1,504.20
Helpers all week: Dottie Jones, Janice Garvin, Adrienne Thomas, Karen Kvan, Margaret Wells, Beverly Werner (from Cat Tails). Donna & Ed Klaich, Dennis Adams, Lou Ann’s neighbors, picked up and moved furniture. Without volunteers, this would not have happened.
- UPCOMING EVENT
- Sunday, June 2: BandFest SB 2019 • Sunset Beach Town Park.
- Volunteers needed: set up stage, Entry gate, PA tent, set up & tear down
- Sponsorships are now closed. We have 18 titled Sponsorships. $37,600 raised already T-shirts $20 while they last.
- Food Trucks: Papa John’s, Nana’s of Island Seafood, Dawg House Grill, Butcher of Brunswick, Wicked Good Pretzels, Pelican’s Snoball, Beer Garden by Red Hare Brewery.
- Bands: Sea & Sand Band, Mason Lovette Band, Gary Lowder & Smokin’ Hot.
- BF funds will support Stella’s Touch plus provide support for rescue groups, spay/neuter programs & Pet Education. We will receive $20,000 in MATCHING FUNDS received from our anonymous donor!
- BCAPS fundraiser, Pins for Paws on Saturday, June 15 230pm at Planet Fun in Shallotte. Contact BCAPS for information: Belinda Musgrove 910-754-8204
- Ideas to improve animal welfare. Can we do better?
- Lime Disease seems to be on the increase. If your dog does develop clinical illness from Lyme disease, the most common signs are lameness, fever, lethargy, and enlarged lymph nodes. Clinical illness is expected 2-5 months after infection. The majority of dogs respond very well to antibiotic treatment with Doxycycline or Amoxicillin.
- With the rising cost to euthanize unwanted animals, the number of “no kill” shelters doubled in 2017. Can Brunswick County be “No Kill” shelter?
FACT: Per ASPCA: 670,000 dogs & 860,000 cats are euthanized in animal shelters in our country in 2017 That is a total of 1.5 million dogs and cats every year, an average of 4,143 dogs and cats every day. It costs taxpayers nearly $375 MILLION to euthanize these animals . . . that’s money that could be spent much more effectively elsewhere.
Statistics reported to NC from Brunswick County:
Dogs 2039 Cats 2283
Adopted 820 adopted 616
Ret to owner 491 ret to owner 44
Euthanized 595 euthanized 476
Unaccounted for in reported statistics: 728 dogs and f1,128 cats.
Per BCAPS: these animals were “adopted” by rescue groups but our statistics do not reflect animals that are pulled by rescue groups? We appear to be the only county shelter who reports statistics this way. We will continue to monitor this.
2018 county budget: $1,164.267.22
** Cost per animal $263.29**
- Number of no-kill shelters doubled in 2017. This directly tied to the cost to euthanize animals. It is cheaper for a community to move toward “no kill status” than to kill so many dogs and cats.
- Euthanasia rate will not change until we have better regulations to govern animal welfare and better enforcement of the regulations and ordinances we have. Adopt – do not shop. Do your part.
- PA Newsletter articles needed. Contact Ellen Lehrer, our newsletter editor.
- How you can help without costing you anything!
- VOLUNTEER! NEED VOLUNTEERS FOR OysterFest & OktoberFest.
- Papa John’s Pizza. USE PAWS30 FOR ONLINE ORDERS
- Memorial Gifts: Donations in memory of or in honor of a pet or a person
- RETIRED? Use Matching Funds & Donations for volunteer hours
- Online shopping. Remember Paws-Ability
- com; Amazon.Smile; Network for Good; Walmart etc
- Mason Dixon: LOCAL, a PA business member! Offers 5% of your purchase to nonprofit of your choice
- Mark your calendars and save the dates.
- June 29, Calabash Senior Center. 10-2 pm
- Sunset @ Sunset – Sunset Beach, Saturday, October 5
- OysterFest – October 19th & 20th • OIB
- Oktoberfest – Saturday, October 26th • Calabash
- Photos with Santa, Saturday, December 7 • SB Park
- Photos with Santa, Saturday, December 14 • OIB
- Shallotte Holiday Market – Mulberry Park, November 16
- Winterfest – Southport Franklin Square Park, Saturday, December 14
- NEW Businesses OPEN:
- Dog Daze Pet Supplies is OPEN!
- Delilah’s Brew & Chew. OPEN!.
- SweetCakes Bakery. 7026 Beach Drive SW, OIB. Donated King Cake for Mardi Gras party this year.
- Spiritquest celebrated 20th anniversary.
- Furniture sale from LouAnn’s neighbors will be the last 2 weeks of June IF WE GET VOLUNTEERS TO HELP WITH THIS.
XIII. Questions / Concerns / Suggestions / Ideas
XIV. Get involved! Volunteers welcome. Contact information below:
Event Chairperson E-Mail
Newsletter Ellen Lehrer firstname.lastname@example.org
Stella’s Touch Janie Withers info@Paws-Ability.org
Event Volunteering Anita August email@example.com
Pet Education Program Anne Overcash firstname.lastname@example.org
Derrillyn Harbeston email@example.com
Feral cats & TNR Jim Baumgarten firstname.lastname@example.org
Karen Arnold email@example.com
Fostering for RACE Cheri McLain firstname.lastname@example.org
Fostering for AAA Jill Jones email@example.com